Thursday, July 9, 2015

Day 84 - Mile 1140.7 to 1160.7 - Mel

July 7

An even later start this morning. I blame it on checking in with Greg since I had service. He texted the tracker last night saying he showed I went a 1/2 mile off trail and he hadn't received any messages at 8:30 last night. Way past my usual stopping time. 

My encouraging husband told me that I would be mostly ridge walking today.   What he didn't know was the drop into a canyon before climbing to 8900 feet at Tinkers Knob before my ridge walk. The start of the climb was steep and I felt like I was on a stair master for about 50 yards. 

Ok, so I was a little below Tinkers Knob, but I did get over 8700 feet. 

The ridge led me to Sugar Bowl. A lot of walking through rock slides. Not slides that have covered the trail, but places where the trail has been built through an area where the hillside is nothing but broken granite. I have to go very slow through these areas since I slip, twist and trip easily. 

I caught up with the group I had camped with and had lunch with them. They made me feel like one of the gang.  Two of the men were involved with troop 330 in San Jose. One had been scout master and the other assistant scout master. 

It started to rain as I got closer to Sugar Bowl. All I had to do was put my rain gear to make it stop. It did start up again as I got close to highway 40. 

I stopped at the highway 80 rest stop for dinner. There were picnic tables, water, garbage cans and flush toilets. A virtual paradise!


Made it another three miles to Peter Grub Hut. I ended up setting up my tent. I have been enjoying sleeping outside in my tent and besides I felt old compared to the group that was already there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment