Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Day 49-6/2/15-Liz 611-628.89

After a couple of windless camp sites we didn't want to get spoiled so of course we choose a windy spot last night. It blew through the trees above us but when it rolled thru camp it felt like someone was shaking my sleeping bag. 
Since yesterday's hike was full of trees and forests we assumed we were out of the desert. Oh were we wrong. We headed down the mountain straight into the desert again. We finally found a bit of shade and stopped at 11:30am. Right now it's 12:47 and my barometer says its  110.0 on the desert floor! We're not going anywhere for a few hours. Have I said I don't like the heat? Now I know why a lot of people skip this section, heat and lack of water does not make for an enjoyable hike. Where's a taxi to take me to Kennedy Meadows?
We finally left our oasis at 4:30 since the weather was a more comfortable 88 degrees. And because we haven't seen a rattler in a while and we needed the adrenaline rush a nice rattler shook and hissed at us. I took a picture then calmly walked around him with Melinda right behind me. We didn't get as far today as we wanted to, the winds were pushing us around while we were skirting the mountain sides. So instead of plummeting to our death off the mountain were camping on a ridge with some mighty winds whipping us. Everything is packed away and we've got numerous rocks holding down our ground clothes. Melinda's only about ten feet away yet we have the shout to each other to be heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment