Sunday, May 10, 2015

Day 25 - Mile 218.6 - Mel

May 8

It's a zero day today. 

The wind hammered my tent all night long. Around midnight the sides and foot of my tent collapsed. I got up to fix it and thought it was raining. Turned out that it was only raining at the foot of my tent. The sprinklers had come on. At least they were aiming away from the tent. I got back into the tent thinking "it could be worse, it could be raining."  So, the next time I woke up it was raining. 

Rain and wind the rest of the night. You could hear the wind coming down (up?) the canyon and you just braced yourself. When I woke up at 5am I found a lake in my tent. I grabbed my sleeping bag, stove and mug and headed for the covered picnic tables with the plan of making coffee. There were hikers asleep on the tables, so I threw my bag on a table and climbed in.

There is snow on the mountains, a 60% chance of rain and a wind advisory up the canyon. We are staying here and sleeping on the tables tonight. And we're not alone. Sitting here in the Ranger Station with other hikers staying out of the wind. 

The foot of my sleeping bag is soaked so it's  hanging over a beam, along with my tent, drying out. 



Saw some Big Horn Sheep on the east canyon wall around sunset.  

1 comment:

  1. wow, it's an adventure every day! Good thing you had those tables to sleep on…and without a guard rail! ha!

    ReplyDelete