Monday, May 11, 2015

Day 27 - Mile 235.4 to 251.35 - Mel

May 10

I was beat when we found a campsite last night (we shared it with eight other hikers). Basically I ate my dinner, rolled out my sleeping bag and went to bed. It was very nice though, laying under the stars and listening to Jack White. 

Took my eye patch off this morning and my eye felt fine. It's good to be hiking with two eyes again. 

We came across our first Poodle-Dog bush right before the campsite. This stuff is supposed to be way worse than poison oak. There was a lot more as we climbed up the canyon. 

Yesterday we climbed about 4000 feet in seventeen miles. Today we climbed about 2000 feet in the first five miles. We passed through some beautiful country  At least we had some shade for this climb, oaks and pine trees. 

After the climb it was very pleasant hiking. Reminded me of Northern California. Except for different pines and I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what they are. 

Saw our first bear today. It was in a cage. There is some type of zoo or animal rescue out here. I've read about it but don't remember what it is.

We found a nice little place to camp on a ridge. We're alone tonight which we haven't been since we started up again. Cowboy camping. Besides being nice (I now know why Greg's brother Rick always did it), we're hoping to get an early enough start to get to Big Bear Lake by early afternoon. One of these days I have to practice setting up my tent!

No comments:

Post a Comment