Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Day 35 - Wrightwood - Mel

May 18


You may have noticed that I have not posted for awhile.  My phone got wet going into Lake Silverwood and died.  I am so bummed.


It's been exciting though.  You've probably already read Liz's updates.  Our unplanned zero day at Lake Silverwood was great.  We got a tour of the area from the volunteer at the Nature Center.  And then to come out of the shower and see Gene and Elaine Hill standing there.  I was elated!  It was so wonderful to see a familiar face from home.  And even better to spend the afternoon with them.


I am now developing some new blisters.  Only a couple hurt, the old ones are just ugly.  We're taking another zero day in Wrightwood.  It will give my feet an extra day of rest and Liz had to make hiking pole repairs.  We're at the library using the internet.  This will be my last post until I get my replacement phone in Tehachapi (thank you Greg).  I also have a couple of posts that I couldn't send due to no service.  If I can find those I will send them too.


This is such an amazing journey.  It's so much more than just the hiking, although that is a big part of it.  To be able to hike through such beautiful country, it sometimes takes your breath away. We have met amazing people along the way too, hikers and in the towns where we stop.  Everyone is so friendly.


I'm also amazed at how my attitude changes.  The other day hiking up out of El Cajon Pass my feet were killing me, as were the hills.  Once again I wondered what the heck I was doing.  Then we found just enough space to put our sleeping bags head to toe, had some dinner and I lay there reading the Jack Higgins book I bought at the thrift store in Crestline (thanks Gene for loaning me the 27 cents).  There I was laying under the wide open sky, reading my book.  I was so happy. 


I am enjoying all of our experiences, good and bad.  You have to roll with what life gives you and make the best of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment