Sunday, April 19, 2015

Day 5-Liz mile 52.7-70.84

Did someone say rattler? We had one about 4 feet in front of us before I saw him. We tried stomping the ground and tossing stones near him but he won't budge. It took another five minutes before he got bored and went back into the bush. I think Melinda and I broke a record for the fifty yard dash.  I wish I could say that was the scariest moment of day but alas it wasn't. The start and end of our day was testing our bravery of hiking along the edge of mountains on very narrow trails. Would it have killed them to make the trail alittle bit wider!!??? We thought we would find a nice campsite but we ended up on the side of a mountain that had a jut out just big enough for us to cowboy camp, yet again. The wind is blowing hard so no hot dinner or coffee. I've never not used a tent before, not even in my backyard, and here I am on this trip and I haven't  used it yet. My feet are a wreck but after I get going its not to bad, meds help. Everyday we're carrying 6-7 liters of water since streams are dry and water is scarce. It may seem like we're not making good time but we are considering how much weight we have to carry. Tomorrow we have to go about 7 miles to a possible water cache, if not then it's mile 91. Damn drought!

No comments:

Post a Comment