Friday, April 24, 2015

Day 7 - Mile 77 to 94.84 Mel

April 20

Got our earliest start so far. Misty picked us up at 6:30 and we hit the trail at 7:00.   Good thing. It was a hot, long climb in the San Felipe mountains. At least with the early start we had some shade.  Our  elevation change was about 1400 feet. The bright side was that it was gradual. I still do not like the drop off though.  

There is a lot more cactus and it grows too close to the trail for my comfort. Greg can attest to my ability to fall into it for no reason. 

I learned today that I can jump with 35 plus pounds on my back and back step quickly on a narrow trail when I heard a rattle and saw a snake start to coil. They do have a nice warning system. The bugger didn't want to move either. Even when Liz accidently hit him with a rock. We had to climb up the hill and go around. 

We eventually made it to mile 91 and a water cache. Thank you trail angels.  Hung out there with some other hikers for awhile before moving on. 

Finally found a spot to camp. On a ridge  in the wind. No tents again tonight. The sun is almost down and I think I will try to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment